We like Ellen Page. Something about her left of center/alternative looks and demeanor, her choice of movies with killer soundtracks, and the air of modesty works. That’s why we’re super stoked for her upcoming film and its corresponding soundtrack. Stoked.
Whip It!, out October 2nd, sees Page play Bliss, a small town girl who is overburdened and overwhelmed by her demanding mother and her desires to see her child become a beauty queen. After a chance encounter with the sexy rascals of a nearby roller derby team, events are set into motion to see her become her own person. Yadda yadda yadda, your standard coming of age tale for sure, but with tattoos, awesome Halloween-esque costumes, and tons of tussled hair and eyeliner involved — we’ll be happy. Plus, Drew Barrymore makes her directorial debut and she was in ET.
The soundtrack is where the action is really going to be, however. Via Playlist, the album will feature everyone from The Breeders and The Raveonettes to Peaches, .38 Special, and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. As for the film’s score, look to Section Quartet, who’ve done orchestral versions of Muse and Oasis hits, to take over that honor from the booted Mark Mothersbaugh.
The soundtrack is out September 29th on Rhino Records. Peep the bodacious trailer below.
Whip It! Soundtrack:
01. Pot Kettle Black – Tilly and the Wall
02. Sheena Is a Punk Rocker – The Ramones
03. What’s the Altitude – Cut Chemist featuring Hymnal
04. Bang On – The Breeders
05. Dead Sound – The Raveonettes
06. Blue Turning Grey – Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
07. Your Arms Around Me – Jens Lekman
08. Learnalilgivinanlovin – Gotye
09. Boys Wanna Be Her – Peaches
10. Jolene – Dolly Parton
11. Caught Up In You – .38 Special
12. Never My Love – Adam Green, Har Mar Superstar
13. Black Gloves – Goose
14. Crown of Age – The Ettes
15. Hightimes – Landon Pigg and the Turbo Fruits
16. Unattainable – Little Joy
17. Lollipop (Squeak E. Clean & Desert Eagles Remix) – The Chordettes
18. Doing It Right – The Go! Team
19. Breeze – Apollo Sunshine