Icelandic pop experimentalists mÃºm will release a collection of rarities on July 17th via Morr Music. Early Birds collects demos and rare/forgotten vinyl releases from the band’s early years between 1998 and 2000. The 15-tracks serve as a glimpse at what they were coming up before their Yesterday Was Dramatic – Today is OK debut.
Most of the songs are instrumental, recorded during a nomadic period in founding members Gunnar Ãrn Tynes and Ãrvar Ãóreyjarson’s lives that found them in basement studios across Europe from Iceland to France. Though delicate melodies bind the songs together, there are two distinctive moods on the album. “The first half of the compilation leans on the playful side, where experimentation is key,” states a press release. “The second half incorporates those quieter tracks, with only a few analog layers, harmonious and blissful, revolving around each other for minutes.”
Both vinyl and CD editions will contain a booklet detailing each track. See the complete tracklist below, and to save you a bit of time, here’s a link to Google Translate.
Early Birds Tracklist:
01. Bak Ã¾itt er sem rennibraut
02. Póst póstmaÃ°ur
04. Glerbrot (Previously lost)
05. Hvernig á aÃ° sÃ¦ra vini sÃna (Previously unreleased)
06. Bak Ã¾itt er sem rennibraut (BÃºstadavegurer fáviti megamix eftir MÃºsÃkvat)
07. Insert Coin (Bjarne Riis arcade game mjiks eftir mÃºm)
08. Loksins erum viÃ° engin (Natturuoperan song)
11. lalalala blái hnÃ¶tturinn
12. mÃºm spilar la la la
14. Volkspark Friedrichshain (Previously forgotten)
15. Enginn vildi hlusta á fiÃ°lunginn, Ã¾vÃ strengir hans vóru slitnir (getiÃ°i ekki veriÃ° góÃ° viÃ° mÃ¶mmu okkar)