Drake’s Homecoming: The Lost Footage, a film centered around a 2009 Drake concert in Toronto, is due to hit theaters across the US this Thursday. The two-hour flick reportedly features previously unseen footage as well as interviews with Jas Prince, who is credited with first discovering the Canadian MC. However, just days before its official release, Drake has distanced himself from the project, claiming it’s an unauthorized release
“The Drake Homecoming film is not something OVO or Drake have any part in,” he said on Twitter yesterday. “I feel it is my responsibility to inform and protect my fans.” A representative for Drake also chimed in, telling the Los Angeles Times, “Obviously Drake and OVO only put out music and video/film that is of the highest quality for their brand and what their fans have come to expect, and do not want any fans to buy into something that has not come from them.”
Now, producers for the film are considering hitting Drake with a $15 million libel suit. They claim that Drake’s disowning of the project breaks a contractual agreement that he had made with them and Serious Entertainment, the concert promoters behind the show. According to said contract, Drake had in fact consented to the filming of the 2009 Toronto concert, and was “paid a $15,000 cash and promised a 15% profit royalty for his participation in the project.”
Update — March 18th: The lawsuit has been filed, according to TMZ. The production company Specticast believes Drake’s tweets were intended to draw attention to his Twitter account where he announced the lineup for his OVO Fest a short time later.
When it came time to finally piece together Drake’s Homecoming, however, Drake didn’t express interest in being involved, despite numerous attempts to bring him into the fold. According to Mark Berry of Attack Media, who are listed as co-executive producers for the film, Drake had known about the movie for some time and had “ample opportunity” to either support it or purchase it for himself.
“There was no participation [from] Drake in the deals, because frankly he wasn’t needed,” Berry told the Times. “Did we want him on board for it? Absolutely. But he just wasn’t coming to the table, for whatever reason.” Berry claims the whole debacle boils down to money: “Fifteen percent back when he was nobody … and [$15,000] handed to him in a paper bag, that’s a lot. [But] I think he wants a higher percentage of the movie.”
Additionally, the producers note another stipulation in the contract that has yet to be fulfilled by the OVO founder: If the first concert sold out (which it did), Drake promised he’d do a second one for just $5,000. “We can drag him into a stadium tomorrow if we wanted to,” Berry said of the agreement. “Personally, I think he should honor his commitments.”
He added, “Even if he does a show and the proceeds go to charity, doesn’t matter to us. Bottom line is, you signed a contract. You got to honor it.”
Below, watch a trailer for Drake’s Homecoming.