The Hennepin County Medical Examiner in Minneapolis has revealed the cause of Scott Weiland’s death. The former Stone Temple Pilots frontman, who was found dead on his tour bus on December 3rd, succumbed to “an accidental overdose of cocaine, ethanol and, methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA).”
Weiland’s atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, history of asthma, and multi-substance dependence were also noted as contributing factors.
Albeit tragic, the circumstances surrounding Weiland’s death are hardly surprising, as he battled drug and alcohol addiction for much of his life. His wife, Jamie Wachtel, maintained that Weiland had been clean for some time. A full toxicology report won’t be ready for another month or two, so it remains unclear how much Weiland was using in the weeks leading up to his death.
As previously reported, police found two bags of cocaine on Weiland’s tour bus, as well as a number of prescription drugs including the sedative Lunesta, anti-anxiety drug Klonopin, Viagra, sedative Dalmane, narcotic Buprenex, and the antipsychotic Geodon. His Wildabouts bandmate Tommy Black was arrested and charged with fifth degree felony possession of drugs after police found him in possession of a small quantity of cocaine.