Well, goddamn. We’ve suspected that Marvel’s latest Netflix Original Series, Luke Cage, is going to be cool as hell, but we weren’t quite ready for the gleefully violent teaser Marvel boss Jeph Loeb dropped on us today at Comic-Con. Set to the piano-laced beat of Ol’ Dirty Bastard’s “Shimmy Shimmy Ya”, the teaser is basically a full minute of star Mike Colter kicking ass as the titular hero.
Just for kicks, let’s count all the ways in which Luke Cage fucks dudes up in this trailer:
1. Tears door off a car, uses it to bash dude through a window.
2. Uses car door to pin other dude against a wall, breaking all of his bones.
3. Throws dude into ceiling. Discards him on the floor.
4. Hits dude with some heavy object that he rips out of a drywall.
5. Slams dude’s head into iron bars, knocking him unconscious.
Cage, who was introduced during season one of Jessica Jones, looks like he’ll do just fine holding down his own show. The spin-off series also stars Simone Missick as Misty Knight, Mahershala Ali as Cornell “Cottonmouth” Stokes, Alfre Woodard as Mariah “Black Mariah” Dillard, and Erik LaRay Harvey as Diamondback. Rosario Dawson, who has played nurse Claire Temple in every Marvel/Netflix show to date, will also reprise her role.
Now excuse us while we go watch Mike Colter kick ass again. This must be what it was like to watch Mozart compose.